Winter weather brings up a ton of challenges for mamas and their families. There are:
- More germs to fight! Lots of viruses are active in the colder months. We move indoors, where close-quartered group activity allows germs to pass more easily. In addition, viruses thrive in a lack of sunlight.
- Shorter days means less light. This effects both our energy levels and our vitamin D levels. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with increased autoimmunity as well as an increased susceptibility to infection.
- Colder weather usually means we are less active, especially outside. Movement helps increase blood flow, which can maintain healthy immunity. It also reduces stress - increased stress can make people more susceptible to both viruses and bacterial infections.
- Cold and dry dehydrates our bodies. This reduces mucus which is our first line of defense against germs. It also can lead to the exacerbation of many skin conditions during the winter months.
- Isolation abounds - the elements can be physically inhibiting at this time of year.
- Reduced access to seasonal, local & fresh foods.
So what can we do?
Well, we've made an awesome PDF with tons of info to help you and your family have a happy and healthy winter. Grab it HERE.